Saturday 20 August 2016

Homemade Apple and Cinnamon Granola



Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day and according to the internet and lots of people (yeh I am not looking this up) it is the most important meal of the day. Granola is something I think I might have tried before, but I am mostly a porridge or beans on toast kind of girl, a smoothie at a push, so I decided I would make some and try something new. Heads up...its delicious.

To make a batch (this filled my 1.5l jar and I had enough for 2 'tester' bowls to make sure it was tasty)

Ingredients
3 Cups of oats
1 Cup of dried apple pieces
1/2 Cup of pumpkin seeds
1/2 Cup of sunflower seeds
2 Tablespoons of cinnamon
4 Tablespoons of coconut oil (melted)
2/3 Cup of agave nectar (Could substitute for maple syrup or any other fruit syrup)
1 Teaspoon of salt


This recipe is pretty simple, it makes the house smell incredible and it definitely ups your breakfast game. Just put all of the ingredients, minus the apple pieces, into a big bowl and mix until all of the oats and seeds are coated with the cinnamon, oil and syrup. Then evenly distribute the mixture onto greased baking trays (I just spray a little fry light) and place in a preheated oven at 180 degrees. After around 20-25 minutes take your trays out and stir/break up and mix around the oat mixture. You will begin to see that clusters have formed and it is starting to look like granola. Once you have mixed the oats around again put the trays back in the oven for another 7-10 minutes, just be sure to keep an eye on it so that it doesn't catch...you don't want burnt pumpkin seeds for breakfast. Then take the trays out of the oven and leave the granola to cool down before storing it in a dry cool place...I always sneak in a warm bowl of granola, or even just a spoonful, it is too tempting not to.

I have started to get creative with different pairings of fruits, nuts and seeds, some of my favourites so far have been mango and coconut and pecan and apricot. Granola is great with some of your favourite milk (mine would have to be almond or oat milk), with some yogurt (soy almond flavoured yogurt is delicious) and fresh fruit, on top of a smoothie bowl or if you are like my boyfriend...just eat it by itself. This is a fairly effortless staple of my kitchen now, I will make a different granola once a week or a fortnight if I am being good and I am still on the look for new combinations and things to add to my granola to make it even more delicious....enjoy!

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Think Sophie

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig