Tuesday 19 April 2016

Vegan Protein Pancakes


I regularly get lost in vegan blogs and YouTube channels, it starts off so simple - just reading one or two posts - and then it is 3 hours later an I am not sure how I got to where I am. In one of my many adventures into the vegan world of the internet I cam across the YouTube channel Brothers Green Eats. These guys have a great selection of food ideas and recipes and when I saw their latest video for their 'Live like a vegan king' series, I was straight in the kitchen trying it out for myself. I varied the recipe for the protein pancakes slightly (I feel like the only person on the internet that doesn't like coconut) and to be honest, I am probably going to make these again a few more times because there is a lot you can do with this batter. I was pretty useless with measuring anything for this recipe, it was more of a 'lets just try this' but here is what I used:

Ingredients
Oats
Chickpeas
Cinnamon
Baking Powder
Salt
Cinnamon
Baking Powder
Date Syrup
Vanilla Extract
Almond Milk
Apple
Banana


Blend the oats so that they become oat flour (this is a really simple technique and also great for when you want to make something that has regular flour in a little healthier and more nutritious). Add in your chickpeas, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, vanilla extract and date syrup (or whichever flavourings and spices you decide to go for). Next it is time to add in the almond milk - I just did this in small batches, adding a little more milk and then blending and repeating until I was happy with the consistency of the batter. When you have the right consistency, ladle the batter into a frying pan and continue to cook them as you would regular pancakes. I cooked these for a few minutes on each side, and like he says in the video, the chickpeas really do help give the pancakes some crispiness.



I had a go at making the caramel apple and banana sauce to go with these pancakes too. This was really simple, just caramelising the fruit in a pan with some cinnamon and then blending it together with some almond milk. Although the colour doesn't do it much justice this was tasty - I added some date syrup because it wasn't as sweet as I was hoping for it to be. I am definitely going to make these again but try out some different flavours - banana or raspberry and cacao would be really yummy too.



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Think Sophie

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig