Sunday 29 May 2016

Foodies Festival



For the April/beginning of May bank holiday weekend, myself and a couple of friends decided to go and hang out on Hove Lawns for the day at Foodies Festival. I had been to a Foodies Festival before, I went a few years back in London, and I remember discovering Sipsmith and eating a lot of cheese.

Seeing as I am not drinking alcohol this year I skipped out on the rum, pimms and wine tasting and stuck to sampling lots of chutney, oils and cake. Being vegetarian (actually I was pescetarian at this stage - still eating fish) definitely changes the experience that I have at restaurants and food events. It was a warm day, everyone seemed to be drinking a lot and there were a lot of grilled meats, but there were plenty of bits for me to taste and try out and I really enjoyed myself .





My friends were a little hungover, sleepy and slow (its all good) and so by the time we got to Foodies it was definitely lunch time. We didn't want to miss out on anything so we tried to do a quick walk around the whole thing before deciding what to eat, but hunger really took over and I jumped in the queue to get some calamari. I wasn't disappointed and the garlic mayo was so strong, it was a great lunch for a hot day.

We walked around some more, trying as many different things as we could get our hands on, sometimes eating thing in odd orders: Dime bar fudge, then plum chutney, pumpkin seed oil and then shortbread biscuits. I can't complain, I certainly felt like I got my moneys worth of freebies. I had seen far too many people walking around eating churros and I was getting more and more agitated that we had walked around the whole festival and we still couldn't figure out which stand was serving churros. Luckily branding has stuck in my mind and I just kept saying 'red means churros, red means churros' and after a few minutes of wishful thinking and following any stand that were red...we found the churros. It may have been £5 for a cup of cinnamon sugar churros and some seriously sweet chocolate sauce but screw it, its a bank holiday!


Photo Credit: Dot Kirk (she was playing around with the manual focus on my camera and I thought this one was pretty cool)



One of the most bizarre things at Foodies was the chilli eating competition. There were a lot of people gathered around and so we went to see what the fuss was, only to find 4 adults weeping, gulping down glasses of milk and blowing their noses in front of cheering crowds. Although I am sure they all must have had to sign some kind of contract to consent to it, it felt a little unnerving - I didn't really want to watch people in pain, plus they won like hot sauce or something, I don't know they must have really liked chillies.

The whole set up of Foodies festival is really nice, there is live music and (for some reason) hay bales to sit on and eat your lunch, there will cooking demonstrations (which I definitely didn't watch enough of) some of my friends even had a massage (I wasn't totally sure how that fit into the festival, I refuse to let a stranger touch me, but they enjoyed it). It was really nice that the event was also animal friendly, I got to say hi to a lot of cute dogs. Food, drinks and friends in the sun - you really can't go wrong for a bank holiday weekend. 



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Think Sophie

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig